For Muslims around the world, the Masjid al-Nabawi is the holiest place after the Masjid al-Haram. Here is the holy shrine of the Holy Prophet. Umrah pilgrims from all over the world pay a mandatory visit to the Prophet’s Mosque after the Kaaba. Many people want to know about the history and style of construction of Masjid Nabavi. In this regard, a special report of Al-Arabiya News states that the history of the minarets of the Prophet’s Mosque is as old as the history of the Prophet’s Mosque itself. The first minaret in the Prophet’s Mosque was used for the call to prayer and it was built in the time of Prophethood. From this minaret Hazrat Bilal bin Rabah used to give Azan. It was near the roof of the Prophet’s Mosque.
The Umayyad Caliph Walid bin Abdul Malik directed the Governor of Medina, Umar bin Abdul Aziz, to increase the number of minarets of the Prophet’s Mosque in 88-91 AH. They built four minarets at the four corners. In practice, it was the first minaret of the Prophet’s Mosque. In Islamic history, there were several stages of improvement of the minarets of the Prophet’s Mosque, but the work done on the minarets of the mosque during the current Saudi monarchy is unprecedented. The Saudi government implemented a major plan to expand the Masjid al-Nabawi. The first expansion of the Masjid al-Nabawi took place between 1370 AH and 1375 AH during the reign of Al Saud.
During this time, the map of the mosque was changed. Two former south-facing minarets were retained, while three were removed. In place of the removed minarets, King Abdulaziz Al Saud inaugurated two new minarets to the north. Each minaret is 70 meters high and has four floors. The first floor is in a square shape adjacent to the roof of Al-Aqsa Mosque. It has four windows. The second octave is drawn in the form of eight districts. At the top is a circular window. The fourth part of the minaret is round. From 1406 AH to 1414 AH, a phase of expansion of Masjid Nabavi was completed. In this expansion phase, 6 more minarets of Masjid Nabavi were added. Each of them is 104 meters high. Thus, the total number of minarets of Masjid Nabavi became 10.
Four of these minarets are on the north side of the mosque. The fifth minaret is in the southeast of the mosque, while the sixth is in the southwest. Each of these minarets consists of five floors. In the second extension, minarets were built in different corners of Masjid Nabavi. Four towers were built on the north side, one on the northeast corner and one on the northwest side. Two of these minarets are on the north side between Shah Fahd Bab and Central Bab. The southeast tower and the southwest tower are five stories high. The base of the minaret is square in shape and its district covers an area of five meters and a height of 27 meters. Their diameter is 5.50 meters. They are decorated with colorful stones. In each of these corners is a pillar of white marble. The third is round in shape with a diameter of 5 meters and a height of 18 meters. It is painted dark brown. The fourth pillar is round and has a diameter of 4.50 meters and a height of 15 meters. The fifth tower was built in a cylindrical shape.